Monday, May 02, 2011

New Beginnings - Time is my friend

This is our first week of Not Homeschooling.  Sarah is working on her university course and I am free to pursue my passions.  Wow!  What a gift!  Time is my friend.
Just have to open that gate and walk through.  Where will this new adventure lead?

I started a free online course for creative people this week -- The Creative Pathfinder .  Its a course to help you focus on your dreams, step out of the mire of the mediocre and do "Great Works".  So far it seems to be a lot about time management, and paying attention to the things that give you joy, so that you can do more of them.  It is a 6 month course that gives you a module every week, with an article, a work sheet and other online resources to teach you how to apply what you are learning to your creative life. It really is "free".

Homeschooling is a non schedule.  There are hourly interruptions and its difficult to focus intensely on a creative endeavor and really zone out on it -- an essential aspect of creative endeavor when you are the teacher/coach. Since Sarah started her high school I made a commitment to surrender to her needs for high school so that she could receive the best possible education uniquely suited to her gifts, personality and learning style.  I channelled my creative energy for her benefit.  Now she can pursue her own path, benefiting from the investment in hard work she has put in over the last 4 years.  I am here if she needs me, but my goals and focus are changed.  I can pursue my creative calling.  I hope I don't get lost in this new endeavor.  I hope I don't waste my life in triviality.  I want to make a difference and so I am pursuing this short course to help me face this new adventure with confidence.

One of the tips I've found helpful so far, is to manage your emails by putting them off till tomorrow.  I find I'm checking emails several times a day.  Its so easy to get lost following interesting rabbit trails (links) and suddenly finding I didn't do what I really planned to do in a day because I was "checking emails".  This tip is to file all important emails -- ones that you need to respond to or read -- into a folder -- and then take time to respond or read tomorrow.  Tomorrow you respond to those emails in the folder and take action.  But the emails that come in on that day go into a new folder for the following day.  Suddenly the infinite number of emails that suck away your daily energy become finite and manageable and you don't overlook anything important.  So I am going to implement this right away.  Today I caught up on the backlog of emails that I didn't have time to answer last week.  Today's important emails are filed to be responded to tomorrow.  And I will have more time for the things that are really important to me.




Here’s an outline of the course topics:

  • your career goals
  • creativity
  • productivity
  • career paths
  • networking
  • marketing
  • sales
  • managing money
  • intellectual property
  • motivation
  • communication and influence
  • collaboration
  • managing others

On the journey you’ll learn:

  • why following your heart makes sound business sense
  • the four most powerful types of creative thinking
  • how to handle a creative block – when you’re supposed to be the creative pro
  • why opportunities just land in some people’s lap (and how you can be one of them)
  • the most effective ways to make a living from your creativity
  • why having a resume could handicap your career
  • how to turn your website into a magnet for new business and career opportunities
  • the weird and profitable properties of intellectual property
  • how to sell without selling out
  • what to do with all the money you earn
  • why other people seem so weird – and what to do about it
  • how to succeed in the face of overwhelming odds
What steps are you taking to befriend time in your creative pursuits?

Do you have any time management techniques that give you more time for creativity and allow you to reliably enter the "creative zone"?

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on getting your life back, Chris! I've no doubt you'll use your new-found time wisely and creatively. How fast they grow up, eh? I remember Sarah as a confident little girl running around Fibrefest with her drop spindle and showing off her angora rabbits. Time has flown as it always seems to.

    My best advice for creative time management is to quit talking about it and just go do it! Start somewhere, anywhere, and it tends to build its own momentum. If you run out of steam before you're done, bribe yourself with promises of starting something totally new and fun - but not until you're finished. Works for me anyhow. ;)

    ReplyDelete