Saturday, April 30, 2011

Finished!

My youngest child, Sarah, completed her last high school - home school assignment today, a paper on "The Role of Enterprise in the War against Poverty."  Sarah is finished grade 12 now.  (Good job, Sarah!)

Yesterday she enrolled in her courses for the Fall semester in Moody Distance Learning.  Her second Moody course, "New Testament Survey" is in process.  She got on "A" on her first university course, "Old Testament Survey" so she has a good start in her university program.

Sarah decided to enroll in Moody's Distance Learning degree program for several reasons:

1.  They accepted her home school transcript/portfolio without reservation.

2.  Moody's distance ed courses are transferable to an on-campus degree program -- many colleges that offered distance ed degrees didn't transfers course work onto an on campus degree.

3.  Moody had a program that Sarah was interested in:  Sarah wants to work with women, helping to alleviate poverty through small and medium business ventures that promote fiber arts skills and entrepreneurship.  She is pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Ministry Leadership - Woman's Ministry concentration, through Moody, which will prepare her to work with women in many areas -- including developing business projects that will help alleviate poverty at home or overseas.

4.  Sarah wants to spend at least one year on campus to experience all that university life has to offer.  Moody has a campus in Spokane, just 2 1/2 hours from home, and Sarah will be able to attend classes in Spokane in her junior year and continue working toward her degree.

5.  Sarah wants to finish her university degree without going into debt.  Moody's credit hours are reasonably priced -- $165 per credit hour for the Fall semester or approx. $2,500 per semester.  With what Sarah is able to earn working for her dad on the farm and selling her own art work she hopes to be able to earn enough for her four years, while she continues to study.

My homeschooling years are over.  It was fun.  I learned a lot.  I became passionate about local, sustainable fiber and food.  I loved teaching and inspiring passion in my daughter for justice, mercy, and sustainability.  As well as a passion for living out New Testament Christianity, and giving her a reasonable, thoughtful, faith.

Homeschooling my daughter was an exceptional joy.  Homeschooling two sons was not so wonderful.  Although we did the required courses, it was more like war -- small daily skirmishes that left me empty and feeling like a failure.  That's when I prayed for wisdom and the ability to break through their resistance.  I had some measure of success but it never felt easy.  The boys had been to public school before homeschooling became a necessity, due to bullying in the school.  But they never got over their public school disdain and mockery of their mom. If I could roll back the years I would homeschool all 3 from kindergarten -- but homeschooling was barely legal in those years.

Perhaps it was because of those skirmishes with the boys that I was better prepared to coach my daughter through the high school years.   

Now I will be able to pursue my own learning goals.  I've enrolled in an online course to help me tweak my creative goals and hopefully gain some new time management tools for creative work.  More about that in another post.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Sarah - and her mom and dad. :)

    Cheers!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Sarah! I wish you the greatest of joy and happiness in your studies and the adventures they will take you on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome that Sarah is doing so well! Congratulations to you both! When I had kids, I definitely want to homeschool.

    ReplyDelete