Thursday, March 10, 2011

Part 2 -- Opal Sock Tutorial/Knit Along

By now you have all mastered part 1 of the Opal Sock Knitting Tutorial and have cast on over two needles and spaced out the stitches over 3 needles, joined in a ring and started to knit in a k2, p2 rib.

Today, we continue knitting in the knit 2, purl 2 rib until we've made a tube about 12 inches long or to a place in the Opal sock yarn where you can see the beginning of the colour repeat emerging again. This is the place where we will continue in part 3 to "the heel".

If you haven't already done so you can download the pattern here.

Variation that isn't mentioned in the pattern:
You can knit a 2 x 2 ribbed cuff for 2 inches and then switch to stockinette (knit every stitch)The self pattern of the sock yarn is different in stockinette than in ribbed stitching. Stockinette is quicker to knit (maybe more boring).

The sock is more stretchy at the ribbing than it is in stockinette. The choice is yours. But you will want to make both socks the same so write down what you did with the first sock on the pattern so that you can make the second sock the same.

Visit our website to learn more about Joybilee Farm

4 comments:

  1. Have tried twice to down load the patern and all I get is a blank screen. Can some one check it and let me know? It could be my dial up. Lou Dobie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Lou
    The link for the pattern goes to the Joybilee Farm website page for "free Patterns". Then if you click on the pattern for "Opal Socks" it is a pdf file. You will need to have Adobe Acrabat on your computer to open the file. I can email you a copy of the pattern if that is easier for you. You can send me an email at joybileefarm at gmail dot com if you'd like me to send you a pattern directly.

    Dial up is frustrating. We cancelled our Telus Dialup last fall and succumbed to satellite internet. It is still slower than high speed but 1,000 % better than dial up. Although it is capped at 200 mb download per day. Most days we can stay within that limit.

    Cheers,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I'm just knitting my first pair of Opal socks. Wish I'd seen your tutorial - brilliant idea to do top in rib down to heel. My problem is I'm tall with long feet. I've already increased the leg length on my 1st sock by 50 % (20 rows st st). Now I'm worrying because I'll also have to have a long foot (woman's 11.5) and have no idea whether the yarn will last for 2 socks like this - let alone accurately repeat the fair isle patterning. I see you say to watch out for the colour repeat beginning, thanks. Please can you tell me how to work out my "wriggle room" in terms of needing more wool than the average foot? I don't want to knit one sock and be unable to complete the 2nd one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Frannz
    Thank you for your comments. Hope you'll join us regularly on the Joybilee Farm blog.

    If your opal sock yarn has a wide repeat, like the one I used for the demonstration photos I think you will want a second ball of Opal sock yarn in the same colourway for the second sock to match the pattern.

    If it is one of the colourways that is short patterning then you don't need to match the pattern so much. I think there will probably be yarn enough for the extensions that you plan but maybe just not enough if you try to match the pattern repeat. The colourways with shorter pattern repeats don't look "off" if they aren't matched perfectly.

    Or plan B -- you can use a different yarn for the heel and toe (a complementary solid or left overs from another ball of sock yarn) and change the heel to a "short row heel" rather than the one I give in the pattern. There are quite a few tutorials online that use this heel so you shouldn't have trouble finding one that explains it to your satisfaction.

    Best regards,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete