Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Fleece Lust

At the Slow Fiber Show in Summerland on the weekend there was a booth across from us with washed Romney Fleece -- coloured and white -- for sale.  It was the loveliest fleece from a coated flock.  The staples were 4 inches long, with excellent crimp and lustre.  Everything I love in a fleece.  And they were already washed.

Now you need to realize, I have a thousand lbs. of fleece, skirted, weighed and sitting on my deck ready to wash.  I have a wringer washing machine that is ready to hold the fleece in hot, hot water while it steeps.  I have bottles of Dawn and Simple Green ready to work at removing grease and dirt.  And I have 5 or 6 already washed fleece ready for the natural dye vats.  The wood stove is lit and ready to dry the fleece as they are washed.  In short everything is in place.  But I wanted those fleece.

They were just beautiful.  Were they different than the fleece I already have?   No, they were a little coarser, just a little mind you.  But the colours were, well, natural...vibrantly natural browns, greys and white.. like the fleece sitting here waiting to be washed.  Fleece lust...plain and simple...fleece lust.

Looking at all the lovely dyed rovings, merino tops, corridale and half breed from New Zealand that Andrea at Auralia has, I just admire the colours, bring home a few bags for specific projects but I don't lust.  I don't think about them when I am away from them, and long to run my fingers through their lock structure.  Or imagine separating the locks in my fingers and spinning them, as they are, from the fold, over my finger.  Fleece lust...

I didn't buy any of those other fleeces.  It would somehow be unfaithful and adulterous to caress another fleece while my own is sitting at home waiting for me.

2 comments:

  1. I poked my fingers in those fleeces and also lusted. I envy the fleece on your deck too. I have always dreamed of a farm like yours with peaceful creatures giving fleece and food. I do not know what I would do with flax but I love the look of it growing and Loved the demonstration at the slow fibre festival (and the information as to the changes/declines in the industry). I wish I had come earlier. I wonder if my mom would give up 10 feet of her almost 10 acres to flax although I do not know what I would do with it when it was grown. I hope I can come and see your farm when you open again in spring

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Emmee
    Joybilee Farm is still open by appointment, if you are going to be in the area. The garden's are going to bed for the winter but the animals and the studio are still available -- although the studio becomes a working, messy studio now.

    If you grow any flax next summer, plan to come to Joybilee Farm on August 6 for the annual Linen Festival. The flax demo is bigger there and you can talk to other flax lovers and get more ideas.

    Thanks for your comments.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete