Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Madder in the pot

Here's the madder in the pot on the wood stove.  I heat the pot in the morning to about 120F and then take it off the stove and let it sit for 24 hours.  The madder is in a bag in the pot with the yarn and every time I walk past I squeeze the bag.  Our water is full of calcium, magnesium and other minerals.  It is pH 7.  It should give good reds but I only seem to get burnt orange.  This morning I added calcium carbonate (chalk) to the vat.  This is day 5.

2 comments:

  1. do you use a mordant? what type? as far as i know, alum or copper mordants will help brighten the color, which might make it less burnt orange. also, i have used baker's ammonia in my dye vat which brightens the color as well. just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alum (20%) and Cream of Tartar (7%) Madder 30%wof plus 30 grams Calcium carbonate (chalk). Its redder tonight. Madder is slow to dissove in the water. I'll take another picture tomorrow.
    Cheers,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete