Friday, July 10, 2009

Pat Green Cottage Industry Carder -- my new toy


Yesterday we got the Pat Green Cottage Industry Carder up and running. And with a bit of advise from Paula Simmons-Green, and some online advise, I managed to produce both batts and roving from the carder. Yippee!. OK, I am still on the learning curve, but since I'm just carding my own fleece for my own spinning and felting work, a learning curve is all right.



We also added a wringer washer (circ. 1960, Beatty, Canadian made)to the fleece washing tools and we put the first fleece through it yesterday. It is yummy. I can heat the water with the wood stove, while I'm cooking or heating the house, drain the fleece soaking water out for garden irrigation, and put the fleece through the wringer before drying. The only electricity needed is to roll the wringers to press out the water. It will be a more eco-friendly way to wash fleece and keep the process out of the kitchen, too.

I was worried that rolling the fleece through the wringers would felt it, but it didn't.

The tub on the wringer holds 15 gallons. It is insulated so the heat stays in for over 3 hours of soaking. It can wash 15 lbs of fleece at a time (about 2 fleeces)so it should speed up the fleece processing at Joybilee Farm. I have a backlog of gorgeous kid mohair, adult mohair and coloured sheep fleeces to wash and card before fall.

Many of these fleeces will become felted bags, but more about that in another post.

6 comments:

  1. I like your blog and I, like to see your washer wringer in action picture. thank you Jullie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pictures are coming, Julie. Just need more time in the day. I'll try to get them up on Sunday. I have pics of our new suri llama boy, too, to post. Somehow its easier to get the words up than to load the pictures.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ho! what a beautiful antiques I do remember how wringer washer was a thank you you are good.
    The clothes are sometimes mixed in the rolls?
    excuse my translation ... Jullie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jullie
    Yes, the wool gets wrapped around the rollers if I don't catch it and guide it through. I've had that happen a few times. But it is easy to fix.

    The machine is in perfect condition, too. No rust, no dents, and good working motor. I am so blessed to have it.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie, I'm Barbara Fiorica in Sacramento, CA. I just bought a Patrick Green I believe Cottage Industry carder that might be 20 to 30 years old. It works very well and is in great condition but the company is being reluctant to let me have a users manual or a parts list I guess they would prefer it if I bought a new one but they are so well made the instructions get lost through time. If you have instructions would it be possible to have them scanned and sent to me or printed and mailed I would be glad to compensate you for them and your time. Thank you for your time my e-mail is rbfiorica@frontiernet.net Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi I have a 30 year old Patrick Green Cottage Industry Carder. I just purchased it in September of this year and can't get a users manual or instruction, parts list from Patrick Green. Do you have yours still and could I buy a copy? I want to use it safely and the rover attachment properly but run into a brick wall with this. I want to know also how to run mohair through it without all the blizzard of hair it seems to float on the fancy. I would appreciate any help. Thank you Barbara Fiorica

    ReplyDelete